Today is Mom's 52nd birthday! (Well January 24th was her birthday, which is when I started writing this on my train ride to work. Needless to say I got to work and didn't get to finish it on her birthday. Now that we are snowed in I figured it would be a great time to finish the post.)
Birthdays have always been important to our family but over the past four years Mom's birthday has become extremely special to us.
Four years ago on her birthday was when Mom had her first seizure, and we began the journey to being told she has brain cancer. While having a seizure and learning you have cancer isn't what you want to do on your birthday, there is one reason I have always been extremely grateful that it happened on her birthday... We were all home––Mom, Dad, Karla, Bunn, Matt, and I. Matt and I almost didn't go home for the weekend because we were so bogged down with school work. I'm so thankful that we changed our minds and made the trip because it meant we go to spend time with Mom and the rest of the snowboarding and playing board games and just enjoying being together before the craziness that followed started. Also, I would have been a complete crazy person trying to get from Raleigh to VA if I'd gotten a random call that Mom had had a seizure.
In the past four years a lot has happened with our family. And I'm so glad that Mom has been there with us through it all.
Brain cancer. We found out that Mom has brain cancer. Over the past four years, she's had many headaches, MRIs, doctors appointments, and hospital stays. She's had chemo and radiation. Through it all she was always super strong and more concerned with the rest of us than herself, which isn't surprising because that is just how Mom is. After all the meds and treatments, we are incredibly happy that the tumor is stable.
Last Day of Radiation, September 2010
Weddings. We've had two weddings at the lake. Karla and I both got married standing in the field by the lake surrounded by family and friends. We are both so grateful to have gotten to get married where we spent all of our time growing up.
Sunset Lake
Karla and Bunn's Wedding, May 2009
Our Wedding, June 2011
New family members. Along with Matt and Jason joining the family, two other members were added–––Cody and Colt. Even though Dad said he'd never have another dog or have a dog in the house, Cody and Colt rule the house, and Dad loves it, don't believe him if he tells you differently.
Graduations. We've had three graduations. Karla graduated from Virginia Tech in May 2009 and has been working as a civil engineer–––currently at Branch & Associates. Bunn works at Botetourt Athletic Club. Matt finished his Ph.D. in December 2010 and officially graduated from NC State in May 2011. He now works at MIT Lincoln Lab. I successfully defended my Ph.D. last May, officially graduated in August, and walked in commencement ceremonies in December. Since August I've been teaching at Northeastern University.
Karla's Graduation, May 2009
Matt's Graduation, May 2011
My Graduation, December 2012
Moves. After graduation Karla moved to Arlington, VA. After a couple years in the DC area Karla and Jason moved back Natural Bridge and bought the gray house that we lived in when we were younger. So now they get to see Mom and Dad everyday (yes, I'm super jealous about this). Colt loves running around the farm and spends more time at Mom and Dad's than he does at his home. Matt and I moved to Massachusetts when Matt started work at Lincoln Lab. Last winter was super mild. Unfortunately, this winter hasn't been so mild. Currently we are stuck at home due to "Blizzard 2013" that dumped a couple feet on us in about 24 hours.
Vacations. Over the past few years Mom and Dad have started taking vacations about every month, which I think they totally deserve. I'm super excited about the one the have planned for next month. 20 days until they come see us in Massachusetts!
Duck, NC - November 2011
Christmases. We've had four great Christmases together.
Christmas 2009
Christmas 2010
Christmas 2011
Christmas 2012
Christmas 2012
So for Mom's birthday I look back on the past four years since her first seizure and look forward to many more years and birthdays with her. Everyday I look forward to our daily phone calls and FaceTime calls.
Like I always tell her, I want to be just like her (minus the brain tumor) when I grow up!
We love you, Mom!
jys





No comments:
Post a Comment